Friday, August 30, 2013

Song lesson - Nicest thing by Kate Nash

Practise I wish constructions with this song and and a couple of exercises

Reminder about I wish / If only

Exercise 1 - Complete the statements

1. I wish I hadn't said to that to her.
This is a regret about
2. I wish you'd be nicer to him.
This is a regret about
3. I wish we could afford a new car.
This is a regret about

Exercise 2 - Complete the rules

1. To talk about regrets about something in the present, we use:
I wish / If only + subject +
2. To talk about regrets about something in the past we use:
I wish / If only + subject +
3. To talk about regrets about somebody's behaviour in the present, we use:
I wish / If only + subject +

The song

The song contains several instances of 'I wish', but in only two of the three forms.
You have a choice.
  • You can see the words of the song with the missing verbs, decide where each verb goes and what form it should be, in which case click on 'Show verbs'.
  • You can do it as a listening exercise, without the verbs. There's a link
  • You can also print out the song, with or without the words. Click on 'Show Verbs' or 'Hide verbs' and then 'Print song' for a printable version.

Nicest thing - Kate Nash

Fill the gaps with the verbs you hear - after pronouns use the contraction 'd for would

All I know is that you're so nice,
You're the nicest thing I've seen.
I wish that we give it a go,
See if we be something.
I wish I your favourite girl,
I wish you I was the reason you are in the world.
I wish my smile your favourite kind of smile,
I wish the way that I was your favourite kind of style.
I wish you figure me out,
That you to know what I was about.
I wish you my hand when I was upset,
I wish you the look on my face when we first met.
I wish you a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly,
'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see.
Basically, I wish that you me,
I wish that you me,
I wish that you knew when I two sugars, actually I three.
I wish that without me your heart ,
I wish that without me you spending the rest of your nights awake.
I wish that without me you ,
I wish I the last thing on your mind before you to sleep.
All I know is that you're the nicest thing I've ever seen
And I wish that we if we something

Exercise 3 - Select the best form of the verb to complete the sentence.

1. I wish I so shy. I might make friends more easily.
2. I wish he so much when we go out.
3. If only they us they were coming.
4. I wish the photocopier breaking down. I need this right now.
5. She now rather wishes she the other job she was offered.
6. I do wish they something about this traffic. It takes ages to get to work.
7. He wishes he so fast when the police saw him.
8. She wishes she to buy milk on the way home earlier.
9. If only you having to work this weekend.
10. I do wish this rain . I want to go for a walk.

Answers

Links

Related posts

No comments:

Post a Comment